Friday, June 06, 2008

MMT Version 2.0 - a few glitches

I wish I had something more prophetic to say, but to cut to the chase, the race didn't go as planned. In fact, it ended about 25 miles too early after 28 hours on my feet. By that time, 16 people had already finished the race while I was limping into the Edinburg aid station at mile 75.9; over 2 hours after the aid station closed. The results show that I 'dropped' at Moreland, which I should've done, but I gingerly left the aid station 8 minutes before it closed (maybe closer to 5 - my crew wasn't completely honest with me) on very tender feet.

For the second year in a row I was racing the aid station cut off times. I prefer to call it running scared. I didn't know how close I was until I reached 211E for the first time at mile 48. At that point I was 45 minutes slower than I was last year. I was feeling better - physically and mentally - and I knew what to expect, which I thought would work to my advantage on year two, but that didn't seem to matter.

I had trained on the section from 211E the second time up to Edinburg the most, and that's where I performed at my worst. I don't know if it was the darkness or wet conditions that slowed me down, but I failed.

Many will say that covering 75 miles is quite an accomplishment even when 100 is the goal. The section from Moreland to Edinburg was an embarrassing 5:45. No way could I do more, and I wasn't about to, nor was I allowed to.

I don't know if I'll go back for a 3rd year. I'm going to mix up my training for the summer and work on getting in shape. There's running to get in shape and running as training. I need to do the prior before I can do the latter.

And I need to figure out my b*tch feet, too, and why they failed me.. or did I fail them?

I can't move on, move past the race if I keep thinking and talking about it. The best way to get over it is to forget about it and start over, start from scratch, and work on those glitches.


Post a Comment

<< Home