Monday, July 28, 2008

Kelly was a friend of mine

It wasn't until I was college or so when I found out from my mom how I really met Kelly. She ended up being one of those friends you drift apart from as you get older and discover different interests. My fondest memory of her is having a sleep over at her place, watching "The Black Stallion", and taking the bus to school in the morning. She lived out in the country and was considered a 'busser' while I lived 6 blocks from the school and was considered a 'walker'. It was a whole new world to me. But it turns out I wasn't invited over to Kelly’s out of pure coincidence. My teacher had talked with my mom and thought it would be a good idea if my sister and I became friends with Kelly. She was shy and didn’t have many friends, and thought we would be a good match. I wasn't the most social kid then (nor am I now), but we got along and then eventually drifted apart. Thank god for Facebook!

I met another Kelly this weekend. She didn't promise any sleepovers, movies, or bus rides. She tortured me with 5 rounds of the following:

400m run
30 box jumps
30 wall ball


Kelly and I broke up after 3 rounds. I didn't like her anymore. She slowed me down on the run, raised the box up higher (it just seemed like it) with each jump, and made the 14lb medicine ball heavier. And the race the day before turned my legs to lead. Usually when I'm riding and feel like I'm going slow, I'll look down to see if the breaks are rubbing. During the 400m run, I often looked behind to see how big the piano was I was towing.

Seriously.

My legs were toast. I knew my limits. I was happy to do fairly well on the box jumps. The last time I attempted one was during my first workout - AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) in 20 minutes of 10 box jumps, 10 push ups, and 10 pull ups. I think the box jumps alone took me 3 minutes each. I didn't necessarily smoke 'em this time, but it was such an improvement confidence wise from that first week in June. Wall ball sucked as I kept pressing up through my toes instead of my heels. I stopped thinking about my form when I couldn't get the ball up as high with each toss. Meltdown.

Hopefully Kelly and I can get to know each other a little better in the near future. This first meeting, though, was a memorable one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home