Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A weekend of 'firsts'

A review of sorts...

1. Saturday - attended my first home opener of the Washington Capitals. Fortunately, they defeated the Chicago Blackhawks 4-2. It was an exciting match even if I missed the first 1.5 periods and spent the remainder of the game yawning and sitting on the end of my seat. That exciting of a game, eh? Yes and no, but I leaned forward mostly because of the kids behind me that constantly kicked the back of my seat. As I said to my sister, "only 21 more games of this!" I'm sure I'll have more to say on this as the season wears on. I'm not one for confrontation, but I might have to put the kicking 10 yr old in his place.

Also, today, I wore a pair of jeans for the first time in nearly 5 months. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is a bit surprising that it has been so long since I've had the soft feel of denim against my skin. I was a regular jean wearer at my old job where it was a very casual place (re: football jerseys on 'Spirit Friday' before Redskins games), but jeans aren't allowed at the new job. It's fine by me even though I'm not the snazziest dresser, but I've adjusted to it and accepted it. I don't go out much, either, nor is summertime in DC a time to be wearing jeans (I applaud and question those who choose to wear jeans in the humidity), so they've stayed in the drawer until now.

2. Sunday - Went to the Woolly Mammoth Theater Company and saw the finally showing of MacHomer. I have not been to enough shows in DC even after living here almost 6 years, so it was nice to finally get out and go to a new theater. Afterwards my group descended upon Rosa Mexicana for some food post matinee. I've walked by this restaurant almost every day after work for the past 5 months and this was my first time eating that. I can't say I'll go back anytime soon, either, but it served its purpose of filling our bellies.

3. Monday - It was the first time I can remember that I've ever had Columbus Day off. I took advantage of the nice day to sit in stylists chair for 2.5 hrs getting my hair foiled, washed, and cut. Note, that this is also the first time in about 10 years that I've had someone else cut my hair. I always plan my trips back to Michigan around when my hair needs a touch up, and it just didn't work this year. I was waaaay overdue and have been wearing my hair up in a pony tail for the last 2 months. Two inches shorter, I can barely wrap it up in the 'tail like I normally do, but I'm not complaining since I'm hoping to get fewer comments about my 'grey hair' :(

4. Push ups - I'm not sure what day it was, but after weeks of doing push ups and burpees on my knees, I was finally able to do 2 'real' push ups (chest to deck). I tried a 3rd, but went down and struggled to get up. With that, I'm officially starting the One Hundred Pushups training program that I posted about earlier. I started the program today and did the Week 1, Day 1 workout in my office, which took all of 5 minutes.

Keep me honest and track my progress. My userID is 'jen14'.


Also, tonight is my first attempt at Fight Gone Bad and I'm REALLY looking forward to it.

1 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger Steve Stenzel said...

"burpees" make me giggle.

Hope you enjoy the haircut!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home