Thursday, January 29, 2009

At Home Workouts - part 2

I'm continuing with my trend of throwing together some workouts for Wednesday nights after work. It's such a great and easy way to get in a high intensity workout in a short amount of time. I try to keep it between 30-45 minutes.

Here's what it looked like:

Reps of 10, 9,... down to 1 alternating
Handstand push ups
Jump negatives

Rest

Reps of 10, 9 .. down to 1 alternating
Jungle Gym Leg Curls (stability level)
Front Squats - holding a 20# KB in each hand.


I really don't have room in my house to kick up in a handstand, and I don't feel comfortable doing one when no one is around in case I fall, so I modified these my putting my feet/knees on a chair that has high arms and tried to get my body as vertical as possible. And since I still can't do pull ups, jump negatives will have to suffice to build some upper body strength. I try to hold myself up for a few seconds then slooowly lower down until arms are fully extended.

My problem isn't just a lack of strength, but shoulder mobility (self diagnosis). Similar to starting a car, when you turn the key, you can hear it 'catch'. When I try to do a pull up from a dead hang, I get stuck, and I can't turn over the key in my shoulder. I'm sure it doesn't make sense, but I sure feel it. I've even tried to watch others to see what their shoulders 'do' and how they effortlessly pull themselves up. I'm sure years of softball and now rugby aren't helping my efforts (or my rotator cuff), but any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to see if I can find any tips online, but will continue to work on dead hangs as well as kips in the meantime. I'll figure out something.

Later in the evening I did a 3x5 workout of KB snatches with each arm using a 20# KB. I've always been a bit hesitant to do them, but working one arm at a time with KBs has been a great workout for my shoulders and lats. I've yet to do snatches with both arms and don't know if/when that will happen. I think I need to keep them from slamming my forearms before moving on.

All told, this took less than 45 minutes. It can be hard to keep the intensity up when working out alone when you only have you to answer to, and only yourself to disappoint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home