Thursday, December 18, 2008

Doing too much after not doing enough

I'll be the first to admit that I'm human.

Surprised?

It should be a given, but some people think that I'm super human. That I eat the healthiest foods and am SO GOOD about working out. If you want to know what I eat, here's a skewed sampling from the weekend.

Bag of mini Pringles (split)
Pint of Peanut butter Zig Zag non-diary 'ice cream' (split)
Pizza Boli's medium cheese with pineapple and green peppers (split)
Egg, cheese and sausage sandwich (Sat AM breakfast, but I make it at home and usually have it every other day)
*It's 2 eggs +1 full egg, half a slice of 2% provolone cheese, and a Morningstar breakfast sausage on a Trader Joe's whole wheat English muffin

See. Not entirely healthy. And I only ran 12 miles on Saturday, so that doesn't come close to burning off the calories I consumed. But hormonal surges made me eat it! So I did. No guilt, either, since I don't do it that often.

But I got back into the swing of things on Monday with a couple workouts. I planned a partner workout in the morning that looked like this:

Squats  KB Swings  Push-ups

100 40 25
75 20 15
50 12 5
75 20 15
100 40 25

1000m row - each person does 500m, feet out of the straps

The squats and swings were a combined total within each team while both people within the two person team do all the push-ups as prescribed on each round. There are a total of 5 rounds and 'Round 6' is an erg sprint - hop on and start rowing. Don't bother messing with the monitor because it will eventually turn on and start counting.

Say 'go' and you GO! No questions. This would make for a great timed workout as a solo or partner workout as I had it set up. Why? To work on communication. There's no sense in standing around talking about the workout when we all know how to squat, swing kettlebells, and do push ups. But who does how many reps? Hit CTRL + F on your computer and find the word 'communication'. Do the workout and figure that out while one person is squating. You want the first person to do all 100 squats? Go right on ahead. You figure out the reps each exercise and each round as you go. All you're given is the total that each team has to complete; it is up to the teams to figure out how to reach that total the quickest way possible.

There was an odd number of participants in the AM class, so I hopped in and did the workout, but took a couple short breaks to correct squating and swing form. We decided not to time the workout, but still wanted to get through it quickly, and we did. Everyone did a great job.

Turns out, we decided to do the same workout with the PM group, the timeslot I normally do the workouts. I partnered up with my sister and we did a good job of making quick decisions on the fly of switching up reps of 25 to 20 and then 10, to moving off the medicine ball so the other person could knock out some reps. She started on the erg first and I finished up the last 500m. I was gassed.

On top of that, I've put in two straight days of running. But don't you run EVERY DAY?? See. Another one of those super human myths. Truth is, I DON'T run every day, and sometimes it's hard for me to run 3 times during the week. I have no problem getting long runs in on the weekends, but 4-10 miles on the DC roads just sucks. My Tuesday morning was freed up and I should've done the run then, but I put it off until after work when I've been doing it the past few weeks. My GF asked me to take the dog with me and I reluctantly did so since running with him can be a very frustrating experience. On the airport side of Hains Point, at one point I grabbed him by the snout and through gritted teeth shouted "CALM THE EFF DOWN!. I don't care if 4 foxes crossed the road while we did our loop; I don't care about all the ducks in the Potomac; I don't care about that excited circle-run that you do after you poop. It's just. not. cool to do when you're attached to my waist and it's raining out. And don't look at me with those puppy dog eyes. I hydrated before I left, so find yourself a puddle... I'm good! And when you get tired, yeah, that's me yelling MOVE! behind you to get you to run faster. I've got a good pace going and don't want this umbilical cord dragging on the ground.. okay, I'll carry it the last 2 miles.

*shaking head*

I walked in the house and went up to shower. I got some food in me right away and got off my feet to rest up for my mid-week long run that I'd be doing in the morning. Right now, I'm just keeping them around 6-8 miles, which is plenty. I got some Tiger Balm rubbed into my quads while watching the Caps and just chilled for the night.

I stalled a bit yesterday morning but still got out and ran the same route as the night before - 6 minutes faster sans dog. Booyah!

The bad news is that I'm sore as hell. I know all about DOMS, but not even getting up and walking around throughout the day is helping. I figure it's good mental 'practice' for MMT when your quads are shot and there are still two big downhills to run - to the final aid station and to the finish. The stairs at work are my hills and I climb and descend them every day.

I still want to get in one more run this week before heading out to George Wash Nat Forest Saturday for an over and back run of Short Mountain for about 17 miles. I want to hit it hard and hit it early even if it does hurt. Come race day, I know there will be pain and a lot of hurt, but I want to be able to deal with it and to keep moving forward toward the finish line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home