Thursday, July 09, 2009

When one streak comes to an end and another starts

It was a weekend in February, 2001, when I last ate meat/fish/poultry. I was out bridesmaid dress shopping with my mom and older sister and we went to Red Lobster for lunch. That year I made it my New Years Resolution to become a vegetarian. There wasn't too much thought into why, I just thought it would be cool to do. I'd give up meat for Lent and figured if I could do it for 40 days/nights, I could do it for 365 days/nights or more.

That 'or more' turned into 8 years, 4 months, and a few days.

I took pride in being a vegetarian. I turned my nose up a skanky fast food, avoided any mild food poisoning I might've had in my pre-veggie days from eating ill prepared meats, asked if food was prepared with chicken/beef broth or fish sauce, and made other modifications to my order. I cooked with and learned to love tofu and tempeh and other meat substitutes.

I was able to find mild 'success' in sports as well, having decent showings in ultras and triathlons and have gained strength as a vegetarian while doing Crossfit. What's not to like about that? My weight has fluctuated from 158 (recent low) upwards to 175 (fatty in 2005). Okay, looking at that range, fluctuate isn't the appropriate word, ballooned is! Eesh.

I've been at a post-MMT weight of 165 of late (afraid to get on the scale, but had to find the weight of a picture frame so I had to get on) without eating too terribly bad. However, a cheat 'here' and a little more of this 'there' adds up to 5 lbs and then some. I'm trying to stay away from the 'and then some' part, so I've decided to make some changes. Part of the decision comes from a recent post from a blog that I read asking readers to change your life in 30 days. She is asking people to do Paleo, but I'm going with The Zone.

I'd been following The Zone (40-30-30) for a few months now with a looser approach as opposed to weighing and measuring of everything. I have started that up again and will be much more strict, weighing and measuring everything. I've been using Crossfit Journal #21 about meal planning as well as scouring the internet for other sources and ideas. It's somewhat difficult to jump right back into it, sink or swim, but if I take the time to really learn it, I'll just keep putting it off. I have a good base knowledge and will continue to add to what I know.

I plan to cut out all grains (bread, rice, pasta, cereal, etc), no cheat days, nix the alcohol, no processed foods, no sugar (syrup, Splenda, honey), as well as add poultry to my diet. Yes, poultry. I mentioned earlier how I had been a vegetarian for 8+ years and that has officially ended. I've started eating chicken this week to mix things up. If I've been able to do X for so long as a vegetarian, why not see what my results might be when adding chicken to my diet? I'm a little leery about adding fish, meat, bacon, etc after such a long layoff, but I have not noticed any digestive issues from the chicken. Any 'discomfort' was probably from the curry powder I made from a mix of 8 or so different spices, but I digress.

Another difficulty is storing and preparing it in the house with another vegetarian. Separate utensils, plates, storage containers, cutting boards have been purchased and/or okayed by the Mrs. I continue to seek approval to thaw a chicken breast in the fridge or defrost in the microwave, trying to figure out which will cause the least amount of stench and clean up. It's a learning and acceptance process for everyone, however, I think the dog is on my side. :D

To keep with my progress, I'm keeping track of what I eat at Fitday. You can follow my progress or just be nosey and check out my public fitness journal from time to time. Sure, there's not a lot of variety in what I eat, but I like to stick with what I know and like, and with what's easy to prepare.

Additionally, I had said before that I was considering a return to the triathlon world and I'm going to put that on hold. I've been on my bike and in the pool and I'm just not feeling the fire or drive to do it, so I'm not going to force it. I have other priorities right now and that will be my focus for the next month. I'm still looking to do The Ring, a 71 mile trail run, so that will be on the September calendar. I might swim and bike from time to time, but it will be for variety. I'm sticking with running and kettlebells and Crossfit for the time being.

It seems to fit with the quarterly changes I make in my life. Look out for October, if not sooner, for more changes. That was when my old company would always re-org and people would get laid off. How fitting.

1 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger ultrarunnergirl said...

well, as long as you have Cooper on your side. *giggling*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home