Sunday, January 29, 2006

Batting 1.000

I'm hitting 3 for 3. In actuality, I'm 4 for 3, but that's not possible, so 3 for 3 it is. I finally made it to the pool today. Yep. But not only was I at the pool, I did a bit of swimming. Yep. A whole 40 minutes, too! I was in the pool twice in November (the last time being the Wednesday before Thanksgiving), I made an appearance in early December, and I finally made it back today.

I started off the morning with a nice 3 hour trail run. Started a little after 9am at mile 0 of the Potomac Heritage Trail near Roosevelt Island. Worked my way up to GW Parkway and 123, just past Fort Marcy, before heading back the same way. You can figure out the mileage. It started to rain about an hour into the run and continued to do so for an hour. I did this while toting a Rim Runner. In addition to a few liters of water in the reservoir and a couple waterbottles of Gatorade in the side pockets, I fit my swim stuff in it so I could go right to the pool afterwards.

No. Excuses.

Was also packin some clothes for afterwards cuz there was no way I was putting that stanky crap back on!

So why the layoff? Hell, where do I begin with the excuses! In all honesty, I don't have an excuse, I have a good reason - I just didn't want to go. That, and considering as inactive as I was this winter, I didn't want to be seen in a swimsuit.. plain and simple. After the Ironman in mid September and Marine Corps Marathon in late October, I needed some time off. Since 2002, I've done at least 2 stand alone marathons in the fall - Baltimore or Marine Corps in October, and Richmond or Philly in November. After training most of the year, my body is pretty worn by November. So this year I took a much needed break. I was practically forced to slow down after being diagnosed with a strained lower back and give prescription Motrin, Flexeril, and Oxycodine. I didn't want to keep hurting like that, so I finally listened to my body.

So I know I have a tri coming up in.. oh, a few months, and I figured I should swim at least once in the month of January. Before, I was a regular MWF at the pool and TR mornings out on the road biking. Now, I get in and out when I can. I don't want to put a schedule in stone, but I'm slowly getting into a routine. We'll see how it works with classes.. and sleep!

I did pull the trigger on Friday and signed up for a trail run scheduled for April 8th. Looking at a couple runs early March, but both on the same weekend - one Saturday, the other Sunday. That is making it a little more enticing considering the distance of both races.. of which I'll spare you the details.

I'm slowly getting back into the swing of things. I love being out on the trails, but the trails kicked my ass as my legs and butt were already pretty sore after hitting the lowerbody weights pretty hard Saturday afternoon. Need to get in some much needed stretching and yoga today between all the homework and reading I need to do... blah.

I took my camera with me and took some shots of the trail while on the go. I hope to have those posted here in a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home