Friday, October 17, 2008

When a good fight goes bad, just put up a good fight

.. that's what I did during my first attempt at Fight Gone Bad on Wednesday.

Fight Gone Bad

Taken from the CrossFit website

In this workout you move from each of five stations after a minute. This is a five-minute round from which a one-minute break is allowed before repeating. We've used this in 3 and 5 round versions. The stations are:

Wall-ball: 20 pound ball, 10 ft target. (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull: 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump: 20" box (Reps)
Push-press: 75 pounds (Reps)
Row: calories (Calories)

The clock does not reset or stop between exercises. On call of "rotate," the athlete/s must move to next station immediately for good score. One point is given for each rep, except on the rower where each calorie is one point.

*******

Modifications I made were using a 14lb ball for the Wall-ball, SDHP of 55lbs, and push-press of 55lbs. The workout can be done in any order, but with 4 people and only 1 medicine ball each of 14# and 20# (there were guys there and the 'unused' ball was used as a 'guide' to make sure you were going low enough. Think 'balls to ball' if you will), one erg, and one bar each for the guys (75#) and gals (55), we didn't have a lot of variation to work with. We also did 3 rounds. This is the order I used..

SDHP
Box jumps
Row
Push-press
Wall-ball


I started off well and just about had the same totals in the first two rounds when I got off the erg. I had a lot of confidence in the box jumps after Monday's workout and used that to increase the rep total. Since the clock doesn't stop between sets, I didn't mess with trying to get my feet under the foot straps on the erg. You shouldn't be using your feet to pull you back up the slide anyway, as you should let the boat 'run' under you, but it's easier done in a shell than on an erg. No matter, I had the same calorie count each round. It was the push-press and wall ball that killed me. I haven't done much bar work or wall ball and really struggled with both to find a good rhythm while trying to maintain good form. I was gasses at that point, too.

Round totals - 79, 72, and 68
Total - 219

I'm not exactly turning cartwheels or anything, but it's nice to have my first FGB under my belt. I'm sure being more strategic in the order I do each set might make a difference. I have a lot of work to do, form and strength-wise, before my next attempt, and hope to bump up that total to at least 250+.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home