Friday, February 20, 2009

Next Big Test - 71 miles

Tomorrow I'll be one of 22 people to toe the invisible line at the start of the Reverse Ring. The Ring is a 71-mile circuit run of the entire orange blazed Massanutten Trail in George Washington National Forest. The Ring is held in September when participants run the trail in the clockwise direction. The Reverse Ring is its evil winter step sister, and is run in the counter clockwise direction.

Since I completed The Ring in September 2008 in a glacier paced 28:17, I'm eligible to partake in the winter version of the run. And who wouldn't jump at the chance to do THAT! I gutted out a finish in September knowing full well that I wanted to do the February run. Those last 10 miles were painful, but it was a mental test that I needed, and I'm sure I'm going to have more mental tests this weekend with cooler temps and less daylight.

I'm excited to see how I'll do after my performace 2 weeks ago at Uwharrie. My running has been down a bit these few weeks with a sore right foot. I don't know if it's the new Cascadia's that are the cause, the need for new road running shoes, or increase in jump rope training, but I don't want it to get any worse and I'm not pushing it. Time on the erg and my CrossFit workouts are helping me stay in shape.

The trees won't be as green as they are in this picture from 2 years ago, but the trails will be just as hilly and rocky, and I'm looking forward to every step.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home