Friday, November 25, 2005

Black Friday

I don't understand why the after Thanksgiving has been coined "Black Friday". I'm not sure when it started, but I did some research and found 'Black Friday' was first used to describe the collapse of the US gold market September 24, 1869. From Bartleby.com, I found "several other days of financial panic have also been occasionally referred to as Black Friday."

Okay, that I can understand.

But what I don't understand why people get up at 4AM to wait in line for a $50 DVD player, or the hottest kids toy, or a half-prices zip pull-over fleece. Is it worth it?



I saw a clip on CNN of a scuffle in Wal-Mart over laptops. Okay.. WAL-MART, people! I'm proud to say I've NEVER been out shopping the day after Thanksgiving and I don't plan on starting anytime soon. I'm not a fan of shopping nor am I a fan of crowds.. and when you mix the two.. *shaking my head*.

From mythology, we are lured to the stores by the Sirens - Wal-Mart, Besty Buy, and Old Navy. I, like Odysseus, tie myself to the mast (in the real world, the TV) so I am not pulled to the rocks by their ads.. the lovely, sing-song ads!!

So what if I end up paying full price for a zip pullover fleece. I don't know of anyone in the market for one, nor am I. I have a dvd player that works just fine and my nephew will be getting a crapload of toys he won't even know what to do with. Like some kids, he'll end up playing with the box they came in.

I'm not worried about missing out on any deals. If this is a big day for you.. meeting the materialistic needs of family/friends/yourself.. then I think you need to do some reevaluating.

I'm off to plop myself in front of the TV..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home