Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Tradition

Traditions they are in everyone's lives. They play a very important role in our world; we rely on them to bring us happiness. They also bring the whole family together during the holidays or reunions. When traditions change, some people find it difficult, and some adapt to it very quickly. The book/movie/musical "Fiddler on the Roof" shows the results of changing traditions. Changing traditions sometimes is a good thing and sometimes it's a bad thing. The importance of tradition is in everyone's lives.

**************

I can see the changes going on in my life.. for my family. Since I was a kid, every Thanksgiving was at my dad's cousin's house and my mom was in charge of the veggie platter. As I got older, when my grandparents would join and my grandfather would bring some Hill Brother Cider before returning to his assisted living home with a plate full of desserts. While in DC the past couple of years, I had my parents ship out a couple gallons of the cider. It's just not the same without it. Apparently this year other people have grown to love Hill Bro Cider as my parents weren't able to get any before coming to DC, so we must resort to some other brand... sacrilegious!

Since becoming a vegetarian almost 5 years ago, I have experimented with faux turkey dinners before settling on the Tofurkey, which I fondly refer to as a Roast Beast. If you're fond of eating socks, it's worth a shot when doused in the giblet gravy. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it..

It's also tradition for me and my sister to go out for a 30-50 mile ride or 90 min trail run Tgiving morning. Afterwards, I cook the entire feast (she is in charge of the green bean casserole and pumpkin muffins), we eat and drink, then watch the Lions lose. With meat eaters in the house I have purchased a couple cornish hens and will have to work my magic on them to make the edible.


Traditions are very important to me. I have the memories of years past while I simultaneously try to create new ones. Even though dinner is spent with a different family, in a different city, and/or with new guests, we are all still together - near and far, past and present, and in spirit. I will cherish the day I get to spend with my sister and parents and hold on the memories of this tradition, however long it may last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home