Thursday, January 11, 2007

An addendum

I should include a little more information about my last post.

My coworkers know that I do the occasional triathlon or trail run. It's hard to hide the fact that I'm training for something when I come into the office with raccoon eyes after a morning swim, have my bike stored in the cube behind me after riding in that morning, or am red-faced in an afternoon meeting after a run at lunchtime.

Given that, I'm approached from time to time from the weekend warrior or the cubemate looking to lose some LBs and asked "how do I do it".

I will offer some suggestions as to easy changes to make in their everyday life, such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator ("but it hurts to walk up the stairs," they tell me), park further away from the building in the "fitness lot", and cut back on drinking pop. Simple, right? If they don't take that advice, what's the point of saying more?

But here's the kicker.. I don't know what will work. What works for me probably won't work for others. My coworkers see me eating my 2nd breakfast, snacking throughout the day, and eating two lunches. However, they don't know that for dinner the night before I had a pint of Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream. Or that I slept of the sofa the night before because I was up late watching "Playmania" on GSN.. (that show is addictive and I have yet to be called). And, yes, I did sneak some chocolate that was left in the kitchen when I was leaving the office. I'm not perfect.

I'm not this uber-athlete they make me out to be. I am far from it and try to deflect as much attention as possible. But if someone wants to go for a run with me, I'll go for a run with them at work. If someone wants me to go to the gym with them after work, I'll join them for 30 minutes.

I'm no super hero, but if just having someone workout with them is all the motivation they need, I'll gladly throw on the cape for them.

We all have our own forms of kryptonite.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home