Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Doing more to suck less

I started the one hundred pushups challenge last week, and so far things are going well. I've followed the program as written... and still can't do 100 push ups. :( That's fine since I still have 4 more weeks to go after this one, but at least I'm up to a max of 8 reps. It's not much and I probably could've knocked out more, but I would've shortened my ROM (range of motion) and didn't want to short change myself. No cutting corners for me. Even if it is a little weird trying to sneak in the 5 sets in my office, I get them all in with full (chest to deck) ROM.

Yesterdays workout consisted of AMRAP in 30 minutes of:

20 traveling burpees
20 cable cleans
20 jumping lunges
20 cable full extensions
20 sit ups
200 single unders


I knew it was going to be a workout that would fry me from shoulders (CFE) to torso (CFE, burpess, cable cleans) to quads (lunges) to calves (single unders). It's a great, tough, full body workout...

..that I suck at.

No.. I do. Sure, I made some small gains last week, but I have a looong way to go to get.. well, good. So I guess the in between process is called 'getting better'. I'm working on getting better at push ups with the challenge, and will start another challenge of sorts with burpees. And, thus, we have The Burpee Challenge.

The Burpee Challenge is to do what I dislike the most! We all know that there is no better way to work your weaknesses then to just do it.

THE RULES

1. Use Burgener's burpee standards for form (see examples in the link).

2. You can complete each day's burpees all at once, or broken up and done at different times throughout the day.

3. If for some reason you miss a day, you have to make up all the missed burpees the following day.

4. If you don't start the challenge with us today, you can "buy-in" at any time by doing ALL the missed day's burpees on your first day.

5. Any burpees you complete during your regular workout can count towards that day's Challenge burpees, if you want them to.

6. Have fun doing burpees and getting stronger doing it!


So you basically do a burpee on day one and add one each day until you get to 100. Some do the challenge where they start off doing 100 burpees to see how long it takes them, then they time themselves again to chart the improvement. I'll venture to guess that it would take me a long time to do 100, so anything else after doing 99 days of burpees would be a vast improvement.

The middle of the week might seem like an odd time to start, but there's no better time to start than now. Waiting until Sunday or Monday or the first of November would put me back 5, 6, or even 11 days worth of burpees. And even though burpees aren't high on my "Love 'em!" meter, putting them off longer will make me dislike them more, and that's not the point of the challenge.

Of course, erging is okay, but erging 10k meters probably won't make me like it more. Don't tempt me to try it..

3 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Zina said...

Skeleton crew erging challenge is on now.
I'm just saying ...

www.concept2.com

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Jen said...

I'm already doing a 6 week training program to do 100 push ups, as well as n+1 push ups until day 100. This might have to wait until day 101.

But I am thinking about the MA Erg Sprints 1/31/09.. you?

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Rainmaker said...

Interesting. I've been slowly ramping up daily situps - just for the sake of doing them. Maybe I'll do pushups at some point. But then again, that seems painful. ;)

Nicely done!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home