Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Injury update

The short version

- Don't do anything that puts the hip joint in a "closed-packed position".

The long version.. aka.. wtf does that mean?

- No running, no squatting (full range), no dead lifts (from the ground), no erging (full pressure, from the catch).

I went in yesterday for a second assessment from a physical therapist regarding my hip. After an hour of being poked, bent, twisted, stretched, poked more, and being asked "does it hurt when I do THIS", we still don't know what's causing the pain in my hip.

In the past couple of weeks I've run a max of 2.5 miles. Two miles of that was to the boathouse, then back (1 mile each way), then I tried to do 8 x 200m repeats and finished 2.1 before my glutes seized up and I could barely put one foot in front of the other. This past Sunday after parking the car, I tried to run from the car to the house - 100m - and started walking again after 5 steps when everything seized up again. No go.

I have an appointment on March 2nd with an orthopaedic surgeon that specializes in the hip. I'm hoping to get an MRI as soon as possible, too.

In the meantime I'm going to modify my workouts - I'll still squat and DL but with limited ROM - and *maybe* get in the pool and run in the deep end as long as pain is a 1-2 on a 10 point scale. Before then, I need to buy a cap with a big plastic flower on it. If the elliptical machine doesn't irritate things, I'm going to find a way to get on one semi-regularly, which might entail actually getting a gym membership somewhere. We'll see.

So what does this mean for my race season?

For one, the Reverse Ring that's being held this weekend is off. If I can't 'jog' 5 steps, I doubt I'll get very far in the Massanuttens. I'm signed up for Bull Run Run 50 and MMT 100 in April and May, respectively, and will remain so for as long as possible. I'm not making any decisions until after seeing the doctor and getting an MRI.

Frustrated?

Yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home