Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Big One

So it's finally happening and the date approaches with little fanfare attached to it. I have to admit, though, that I am starting to get excited.

I'm referring to the 24-Hour Adventure Trail Run

I'm not looking at this as a race. I don't plan on racing it. I have no clue how to race it. The furthest I've ever run.. well, the most miles I've covered on foot at one time via running, walking, hiking, etc.. was 50 miles. I've accomplished that feat 3 times in 3 years. I have my sights set on a 50-miler next year and thought that would be my first "big ultra". I saw this race posted early March and jumped at the chance to do it. I knew the second I saw it that I would do it. The timing was perfect and I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Since I'm not racing it, I'm basically going to see what I can do. What I can make my body do. What my body will or won't do after 12 hours, since that's the longest I've been on my feet.

It should be fun. Like I said, I'm excited.. excited about the unknown. Not nervous at all, either. I feel no pressure. Sure, I guess there's some pressure to stay up the entire 24 hours and to finish on my own terms. The only way to keep me from finishing is if I medically can't because of a fall or GI problems. This is my 3rd year in ultras and I've never had foot problems. If blisters do occur, I have a small 'med kit' I've slowly been creating to deal with any problems. With my luck, I won't need any of the stuff, but it's better to have it and not need it that to not have it and need it.. right?

I'm not feeling as "in shape" as I'd like to be, but hell, nothing like working out for 24 hours to get back into shape, eh? I should burn a good 10,000+ calories or so, but expect to gain a few pounds from bloating. Hooray. Add that to the additional bloating from "the month".. yippy skippy.

So here are some minor goals for the weekend and for the event.

1. HAVE FUN!!
2. Finish on my own terms
3. Complete at least 70 miles - 10 loops.
4. Stay on top of my nutrition.
5. HAVE FUN!
6. Smile and joke around with crew and volunteers.
7. Quote "Tommy Boy" as much as I can.
8. Get a picture of a beaver.. I've seen a number of them while out on training runs.
9. Bring back a piece of the trail.. I like to grab a rock as a memento.
10. Leave it all out there.. literally and figuratively.
11. HAVE FUN!
12. Gain respect for time, distance, the other runners, and Nature.
13. See how much guts, determination, Pride, and perseverance I have.
14. HAVE FUN!

I'm sure I'll write a report of the days events, but not sure how soon after it will be composed. There will be pictures, too, of me in all my glory. Flattering as all get out I'm sure.


On a final note, my chest is freaking killing me today after my dumbass max effort Tuesday. I feel like I have walking pneumonia.. so help me God if I do.

It's days like this, after lifting days like that, when I mutter "dumbass" to myself all day as I rub my chest to ease the pain.. So I guess it's not all that bad. ;)

1 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Nice job on the bench presses super genius! Bad headwork.

Make a "note to self" to not try heavy lifting or serious workouts mere days before you are going to be on your feet for 24 hrs.

-the mule

 

Post a Comment

<< Home