Tuesday, April 04, 2006

How to cure what ales you

It's beer. Hands down. Beer. A Miller Lite in a can. I took 3 cans from the beer in the fridge at work. Best served in an insulated paper bag can coozie.

Yep.

The coozie was a gift from a college bud. It's seen some better days and is clinging to life thanks to duct tape. I can't say the same for my Timex watch, though.

.. a moment of silence for the dearly departed..

So I've been cured. My ulcer is gone. Behold.. the power of beer. 2 of 'em on Tuesday night.. (and it's working on midnite now). I think I deserved it after a shitty day. At least that's how I'm trying to justify drinking this late. Alone. Let me 'splain.

I had a mid-term Tuesday night. I wasn't as prepared for it as I would've like to have been. I didn't know what the hell to study for, but we were allowed a sheet of equations; no definitions. I wrote a bunch down, but it wasn't very organized. I was up until 3:30am studying while listening to the soundtrack of "Shine" to keep calm. Went down on the sofa for a 'nap', set my watch alarm and another alarm for 5:30am and didn't hear either. Up at 7:30, but not a lot of time to do what I wanted to do. I still packed my super nutritious lunch and almost cut off the tip of my left thumb while chopping lettuce.. thanks again, youknowwho.

Same shit, different day at the office. I have billing due this week and I'm swamped. My boss and manager will be at an 'off site' for super important people the rest of the week. I'm in charge.. and I get to do her billing. Hooray. I tried to study when I could. A running club is starting up. When I attended the meeting, the organizer says, "Oh great" when I enter the room. I didn't want to make the day any worse, so I assumed she means it in a good way. So I'm a running leader. This should be fun. I tried to do some studying but can only keep my phone on 'do not distub' for so long. I work for a.. ahem.. "marketing company" and handle calls from people that don't want to be "marketed". It's fun stuff. Really. Especially when we market to dead people. Funner when they've been dead since 1968. Yep. The relatives that contact me are sooo nice and have an odd way of explaining it. My former boss, who got me involved in ultrarunning, passed on this job to me after he was called a "white washing son-of-a-bitch". That was the last straw. I haven't been called anything that bad. I think it's my sunny disposition. I'm a charmer. If they could only see my dimples. Didn't market dead people today, but a couple people don't want to get information for car insurance, so they had to tell me about it. I thought about playing minesweeper while on the phone, but I was nice, said "mm hmm" a lot, and explained how/why they got mailed. They thanked me for being so nice and helpful, but they never hear me mumble "fucker" when I hang up the phone. So on top of billing, I have these fuckers to deal with.

I swear I gave myself an ulcer worrying about the test. It'd kinda nice only having the class 1x a week, but that means a limited number of sessions. He didn't want to waste any time, so he lectured for the first hour. My stomach was in friggin knots! Finally it's time... 6 questions. "I don't know this shit," so I start thinking.. midterm is worth 25% of final grade.. final project is 40%.. homework is 15%.. "okay.. let's try for partial credit". It really wasn't that bad, but I was the last to leave. We were alloted 75 minutes, but he said, "don't feel constrained by the time, but I don't want to be here until midnight." I was out at 8:50.

It felt like a HUGE weight was lifted off my shoulders when I walked out of class. I couldn't wait to celebrate.. so I went to the gym to lift. There's just nuthin like adrenaline and lactic acid. I walked home from the gym, swinging my bags like Julie Andrews in "The Sound of Music" as she sings "I Have Confidence" when she gets off the bus and heads to the mansion of Captain Von Trapp. It's a good tune. Really. I downloaded it awhile ago and am listening to it now. (wow that sounds sad..) I was singing aloud to BNL and remembering living on Warren and "study tables" in college. Bring your own "books" was the policy. I was also jamming with Tracy Bonham's "Bulldog".. and there's just something about "Dirty" by Christina Aguillera that makes me want to work a pole. It just brings out the whore in me I try to repress.

So of course when I get home, the ulcer that started earlier comes back as I'm a bag of nerves watching the Duke v. Maryland women's NCAA finals game. That's when I got the first beer. It worked. Nerves were calmed and the Terps won in OT in an awesome game.

So why #2? I had to celebrate the win somehow.

cheer, beers, and queers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home