Thursday, March 23, 2006

The Official Start of Tourist Season

...or as I like to call it, hell.

The National Cherry Blossom Festival starts this weekend. Droves of people from all walks of life will flood to DC between now and.. oh, say the end of September. The sidewalks will be crowded, no one will know what 'on your left' means when I try to pass on my bike, nor will they know that the left side of the escalator is for walking. Metro trains will be crowded as, yes, in fact people DO work here and it's not just one big tourist attraction.

This is why I'm glad I commute away from the city for work, avoid the busiest Metro stops, don't drive, and do my long, weekend workouts super early.

I love living here, don't get me wrong, and it's great that people come here and spend their money, but sometimes people make me shake my head. I know I don't take advantage of the cities sites and attractions, but after seeing families fight after spending a day at the zoo or at The Mall.. hell, I just hope it was worth it.

2 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger Cathie said...

Amen to that. I've posted some tips for surviving tourist season in this city. I think my blood pressure automatically goes up come March.

If you look at it the right way, though, it can be fun. I mean, if you like making fun of idiots. But I have to be in a good mood and it has to be sunny and warm for them not to irritate the hell out of me. I work three blocks from the White House, so they're always swarming around here. I'm always amazed how two of them can manage to take up a five person sidewalk.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Nice list.

I have to agree with #18-20 and especially #15. I am entertained. Tourists are funny - taking pics of the approaching train or commenting on how long the Dupont escalator is. All the while standing at the edge of the platform when it's not their train approaching and taking up both sides of the escalator 5 people deep. I enjoy riding up to them on my bike as they cross Key Bridge and shouting "On your left!" just to see them jump.. and then move to their left. I love going for a run at 6am around The Mall and seeing them lined up at Engraving and Printing. Friggin' B of E&P! I love the "You don't know me" Tshirts and 'FBI' hats.

Somewhere, a village is missing a family of 5.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home