Friday, April 07, 2006

Words of Wisdom

"May the god Mercury put wings on your feet so that they be swift and sure."

Saturday will be one of the first 'big' races I where I have no one there supporting me. Sure, I'll have my sister in Arizona who will be doing the Ironman on Sunday rooting from afar and my parents in Michigan waiting for me to call with results. There will also be the other runners that you get support from, but it's just not the same. I did a trail marathon early March where I was by myself, but that was a 'for shits and giggles' run just to get out on the trails and get a long run in. This race matters. It's the third year in a row I'll be doing the Bull Run Run 50 miler. After a good run at the HAT 50k a few weeks ago, I'm feeling ready for this one. I was in great shape for my first attempt and finished in 11:03. Last year I was in so-so shape and finished in 11:14. My problem was that I found someone to run with and ran at her pace, which was slower than what I wanted to go. I didn't realize how far off pace I was until the last aid station and by then it was too late to make up so much time in the last 6 miles.

This year, I'll put it out there and say that I hope to finish sub 11 hours. I like to better my previous years times, of course, but it's looking like it's gonna rain today (already is) and most of tomorrow morning, which means a sloppy course. Physically, I'm not really where I want to be, but after the 50K, I have increased confidence in my pacing and mental capabilities. I need to draw from that to keep me going at low times like when I'm cold and soaked or when things ache. I also draw from words of wisdom, such as what's listed at the top.

Since my mom can't be at the race, she sends me little notes like the one above. When I lived in Ann Arbor and would visit for the weekend, she'd always say "watch for deer and turkey" before I left. It's those little things that are cute now that I thought were stupid when I was a kid. It's pieces of home that I miss and carry with me as a constant reminder. I will never forget where I came from.. my roots. I will draw from that to keep me going...

"swiftly and surely"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home