Friday, May 26, 2006

Kids These Days

I walk the same route to the Metro every morning. Along the way I pass an elementary school. Very rarely will any of the kids talk to me. I'm usually in my own world, zoning out to whatever is playing on my ipod at the moment. I prefer to observe the future of America as they head off to school while munching on a delicious breakfast of Funions.

Last Spring, a little boy noticed me carrying a gym bag.

"Do you play soccer?" he asked.
"Softball"
"Is that like baseball?"
"Sort of"
"Oh"

*pause"

"Do you play soccer?" I asked as we waited at the light. The cool crossing guard was there last year.. not the gold-toothed one we have now.

"yeah.. I'm pretty good"

"Do you practice behind the school?"

"I don't know. We have a game this weekend."

"Good luck," I said as we crossed.

"Thanks," he replied.. "Have a nice day."

The kid couldn't have been more than 10 years old. It made my day.


Today. Same route, but a little later than usual. A kid passed me looking a little hurried. Must've been late. As was I.

"Excuse me," he said. I could barely hear him.. music blasting and all.

I stopped and pulled out an ear bud. He kind of looked me up and down. Was he going to say something about how my green Crocs didn't match my red, wrinkled Wisconsin T-shirt? Was he going to comment on my dirty jeans that I've been wearing all week? My disheveled hair? What??

"You might not want to walk there. There's a dead bird on the sidewalk."

I sorta smiled since I kicked at it when I walked this same route yesterday.

"Thank you"

"You're welcome.. Have a nice day."

Awwww...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home