Monday, May 01, 2006

New Respect for 24 Hours

So I had this little run over the weekend, right.. and had the list of goals below that I wanted to accomplish. I managed to accomplish all 14.

-I managed to have fun 4 times over.
-I finished in 23:09.
-I completed 10 loops, but we found out that each loop was closer to 8 miles.
-My nutrition was phenomenal as I had no stomach issues whatsoever.
-There were a few quotes from "Tommy Boy" on loop #7 as well as "Groundhog Day" on loop #9.
-I saw 2 beavers and 1 snake. No pictures, though, as The Beav sightings were at night.
-I have a piece of the trail.
-I "left it out there". Exhaustion is something else as is running with eyes at half mast.
-8 miles doesn't sound like much. 24 hours doesn't either. But put the 2 together and it has a new meaning.
-Relay people flying by you at 2am is a little disheartening. Watching a guy head out for his 12th loop, and still moving with vigor, was unbelievable.

My previous best was 50 miles. I had hoped to do 10 loops, which I did, and it still hasn't sunk in. The soreness when I stand up and try to walk, however, quickly reminds me of what I did.

The miles, the hills, the rocks, the cold, the darkness, the camaraderie.. There's just so much to say and I will save it for another time.

4 Comments:

At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are my new hero. Cripes, nearly 80 miles over 24 hours. The thought makes me go blank.

I'm glad eveything went so well for you on this. I was thinking about you all day Saturday, wondering how it was going and if your weather was as great as ours was. Again, kudos. You'll be at one hundred before you know it

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Rob said...

One helluva an accomplishment my friend. I am very proud of you. I hope it is a sign of bigger things yet to come as you grasp truly what you are capable of. Call me when you are ready for 100 and I will pace you...or heck I will run it with you.

The Mule

 
At 7:31 PM, Blogger The Smacca said...

*inspired*

;-)

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Congrats!! Great Job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home