Friday, June 15, 2007

8 is enough...okay, 7 will do

I finally did a run of a substantial distance. By substantial, I mean it was more than the casual distance one might run at a running store when trying on new shoes. And for the layman, it was longer than a few 'Metro Steps'*.

Once a week, I try to go running in the morning with a friends dog, and yesterday was that morning. I took a few weeks off because of MMT, MMT recovery, travel for another race, and.. you get the idea.. it's just a list of excuses. Lack of motivation? Lack of desire? Part of it has been very, very tender feet (still) post MMT. I walk like an old lady when I first get up out of bed or from a chair and it doesn't matter if I'm wearing shoes or barefoot. Because of that, and nagging ITB soreness, I've put off running for fear not being able to run because of these issues and of injuring myself more.

No more.

I needed to get out there to see how my body felt. I did the swim and bike of a half Ironman 2 weeks post MMT, where the only running I did was through T1 as I came out of the water. A stiff knee off the bike kept me from testing it on the run course, and I was fine with DNFing as it wasn't my 'A' race of the season.

So this was the true test, and a chance to break in my new Asics. Another reason to get out there. I didn't know how much I would do, but I wasn't sure how well the pup would do in the early AM humidity, either.

I don't know if it was the revised route, the tunes, the rain, or the fact that I was forced to carry a baggie of his crap for an hour (I took 3 grocery bags and he went 2x within the first 2 minutes and the 3rd is usually for emergencies - his or mine, whichever comes first), but it was a good run. It went as expected and I dig the new shoes. I'm sure I could've gone a little faster, but I wasn't out there to proove anything.

I can run; I know that. The 'speed' will come; I know that.

I've never really run for the fun of it. Yes, I've had my fair share of running funks, with the first being at the end of 2002, but I've managed to get out of them by running a new route, getting new gear, running trails, signing up for a race, etc. Name it, I've tried it.

It will come back.. 7 or 8.. miles at a time.



*Metro Steps (adj.) - Term used to describe the few steps take by a commuter in, but not limited to, the DC Metro region, when crossing the street. Usually not necessary, but most Steppers feel it helps them get across quicker. Mostly they just look stupid. Those who look REALLY stupid are the ones who start about 10-20 yds from the crosswalk area and do a full out SPRINT across the entire street. Some might stop halfway and walk the rest after (hopefully, but I doubt it) realizing how ridiculous they look. How in shape they are isn't an issue, which is most evident on Metro Rail (or just Metro for us DC snobs). This is most noticable at transfer stations, such L'Enfant, Gallery Place, or Metro Center, when commuters are switching trains on different platform levels. They mean business on the escalator and will cut you off as they make the turn at the top/bottom! And then they realize it's not their train.. and resort to the Metro Walk of Shame down the platform.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home