Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Battle Scars

Peer pressure wasn't what made me do it. It was wanting to get back into playing a team sport. Who knew it would be so much fun, yet so painful at the same time.

I feel like the walking wounded.

I grew up playing little league softball and started in on basketball in the 7th grade and then volleyball once I started high school. After graduation, I went on to play softball in college as well as intramural basketball and flag football. After graduation I started doing running races and then triathlons in 2001, but played slowpitch softball from time to time. I loved being part of a team, so when I met someone in early August who played rugby, I jumped at the chance to give it a shot.

What was there to lose?

Well, I've lost the ability to turn my neck from side to side, lift my right arm above my head without a 'hitch', I walk with a bit of a gimp, and making a fist is a bit of a struggle.. as is rotating my left forearm. Most of this is a problem only 3 days of the week - after practice and after games.

The kicker?

I dig it.

I dig the rush of tackling and being tackled. Of being in the middle of scrum or at the bottom of a ruck. Of walking away from a practice exhausted after 2 hours plus 45 minutes of sprints beforehand. I dig the camaraderie. I dig the post match socials and all the hoopla involved. I dig waking up sore wondering why I hurt everywhere and reliving the match in my mind to try and figure out when it all happened. I dig looking in the mirror to see a bruise the shape of a teardrop in the corner of my eye or one that looks like a stain on my chin..

.. and I can't wait to do it all over again..

2 Comments:

At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So ahhh errr ummm aahhh.. What else has she made you do as a result of this percieved peer pressure?

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Good for you J.
Rugby sounds right up your alley.
Have fun and try to stay in one piece.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home