Wednesday, November 08, 2006

As Predicted

I woke up in a mild funk, however, not as bad since I have a lot of work to do to keep my mind occupied. And waking up next to someone (besides my cat) makes things a little better, but that's beside the point.

Here's the point.. apparently "America spoke" and spoke loudly against homosexuals. I'm not big on politics and avoid debates as much as possible, but this just irks me. How can a country that supposedly touts tolerance and acceptance to all individuals show such blatant homophobia, ignorance, and disregard for individuals? Obviously, before yesterday, it was pretty easy as 20 other states can attest to by passing similar constitutional amendments defining marriage as between a man and a woman. Most go on to include not recognizing any contract or civil union between individuals, gay or straight.

I hope people realized that before hitting the polls. I hope they thought it through and thought of their friends aunt who has been with her partner for 15 years; or crazy uncle Al who lives alone but spends a lot of time with his "friend" that you grew up calling "uncle Bob"; their coworker and her partner raising kids together or trying to buy a new home; their neighbor whose partner is going through her second round of chemo. Please tell me how this ruins the sanctity of marriage. I'd really like to know.

All I want is a piece of paper. I don't want a crap load of lawyers involved, I don't want it to take months of legal battles. I want something as simple as signing my name on some dotted line. Maybe a little 'congratulations' or a party. I want it to be that easy. All I want is one state to not be a lemming. One state to wake up and realize how ignorant the others are and not pass a constitutional amendment defining marriage. Let me sleep soundly. Let me wake up, look at the woman sleeping beside me, and know we will be able to take care of each other in the future without the government being involved.

Is that too much to ask?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home